Friday. Nov, 21
Smith comes in stylish as usual. Sporting her Super cool black vest and dope boots :)
We then continue to talk about how egocentric every high school student is (IBZ gets grilled ). Next we talk about which option should we choose …… Option #1 is seen as the easy way out (%6) … but is also seen as a great final to discuss. Option #2 is seen as the opportunity to increase your grade (%18).
Smith tells the class that they can do either option and it will be done as two groups. If you want option #1 then you can do that option, same with option #2
HOMEWORK OVER BREAK = Read modern translation of act 5 :) only one scene !! WHOOP WHOOP…
Act 4 Fishbowl
Recap: Polonius has died and Laertes confronts the king on the matter for he thinks that Claudius had killed his father. Claudius tells Laertes about his plan to kill Hamlet who is the one has killed his father. Also Ophelia has died.
- Do you think Hamlet shows remorse in killing Polonius?
- Much of the class agrees that this is the point at which Hamlet truly goes crazy. Also they talk about how Hamlet has passed up maybe his own oppurtunity to kill Claudius when he was praying.
- How does Shakespeare display human nature?
- Depicts humans as they are egocentric, and most care about themselves only. Each of everyones plans have all been for themselves. Also shows morality and what people do in extreme conditions. HUGE DISCUSSION ON WHY HAMLET HID THE BODY
“ A MAN WHO HAS NOTHING IS THE MOST DANGEROUS”
- Spencer :)
- Spencer :)
- A thought is that Claudius may be doing his actions for the better of the kingdom but many disagree
- Does Claudius care about what has happened to Polonius
- No because Claudius is self centered and is only concerned about himself
- Denmark cares about Hamlet so Claudius can’t just murder him…..
- Why did Ophelia kill herself?
- She couldn’t handle the stress of Hamlet fake loving her. And also being used by both Hamlet and her father.
- Who’s responsible for Ophelia's madness?
- Mostly Hamlet and Polonius but is in a way her own fault. Breaking point equals Hamlet killing Polonius. Father being killed by the only man she’s ever loved. Women in this culture don’t have any say and no escape. So she makes her own escape.
- GIRLS ARE EVIL AND KNAVING LOL
- Does act 5 equal Hamlets downfall?
- Hamlet might regret his previous actions and all the relationships he has had to sacrifice.
- Ophelia without any manly figure can’t go on with her life.
- Ophelia is drowned with all the situations which is ironic in the way she dies.
- Two completely different women (Ophelia vs. Queen)
- Some think that Ophelia is no sane before she dies.
- How was she sane if she killed herself ???? Makes no sense
MRS. SMITH GIVES BRANDON THE FUNNIEST LOOK I HAVE EVER SEEN AS HE TRIES TO PLAY WITH CLAY …
- Extreme similarity between the situations that Ophelia and Hamlet face but they deal with it in two totally different ways.
- How many suspect Claudius and his rightfulness to the crown?
- Hamlet never wanted to oust Claudius in front of the people but instead reassure himself about the ghost
- Horatio may know of everything that has gone on. But his role is to be the friend there for Hamlet and thats it
SPENCER SPITS ULTIMATE FIRE AND THE TRUTH ! SHAKESPEARE WRITES THIS PLAY AFTER HIS SONS DEATH SO THE CRAZYNESS OF HAMLET AND OPHELIA DON’T SAY MUCH ABOUT SHAKESPEARE AS A PERSON…
- Why are Laertes and Ophelia distant in this scene
IBZZZ LOVES SYMBOLISM <3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3
and … crickets…. Smith chimes in with the idea that people don’t want points because they haven’t spoken …